Legend of the Links – 1995
David Gill was selected to design the Village Links golf course. He also designed the Link-Up Nine expansion opened for play in 1975. In addition to being a golf course architect, he was a civil engineer. This was undoubtedly helpful in designing the Village Links, because he was better able to incorporate the golf course with the flood water retention system. Dave successfully convinced the Village that they should build a more than the typical public golf course. His design of a 6,900 yard course with bentgrass tees, watered fairways, and numerous sand and water hazards, was radical in its day.
The Village Links was one of Dave Gill's most noteworthy golf course designs. He designed more than 50 courses in 13 states, mostly in the Midwest. Other courses designed by Dave Gill include:
- Bunker Links in Coon Rapids, Minnesota,
- St. Charles Country Club, St. Charles, Illinois
- Naperville Country Club, Naperville, Illinois
- Cress Creek Country Club, Naperville, Illinois
- Tamarack Fairways, Naperville, Illinois
- Blackberry Oaks, Bristol, Illinois
Mr. Gill passed away in 1992 at the age of 73.
In 2001, David’s son, Garrett Gill, also a golf course architect, was hired to remodel the Village Links 18-hole course.